Tuesday, 19 April 2016

Negativity

I have been feeling really drained the last while - mentally and physically drained. I have been seeing the worst in people and situations, focusing on the negative, short tempered and irritated, and it is not like me at all. It took me a long while to figure it out, but I think I finally know why.

There are people around you, people we encounter in every day life, who are Joy Stealers. They see only the bad in every situation, complain about everything, belittle and bemoan others. They are the Negative Nelly's, judgemental and condescending, very vocal about their opinions about the situations around them. They are the people for who life never seems to work out. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying it is always necessarily their fault. Sometimes, life does deal someone a bad hand, especially in our current economic and political landscape, but it remains your choice how you choose to react to it. The choice between a positive and a negative outlook, rests with you. Instead of loudly complaining about the situations you find yourself in, why not try be part of the solution? Change your outlook, change the words you speak and the way you react in certain situations and you will be amazed at the difference you will see in yourself and in the people around you.

To get back to the beginning of my post, I realised that I had allowed the negativity of others to influence the way I was viewing the world. I allowed the bad attitude of someone next to me, to dictate the attitude with which I approach my day. And, to follow my own advice, I decided that I need to be part of the solution, not part of the problem. It doesn't help that I blame my bad patch on the bad attitude of (someone else. Starting today, these are the steps I need to take in order to put my positive frame of mind first:

  • Remove myself from negative conversations
  • Acknowledge the feelings of the other person, but realise that I do not have to agree with them
  • Suggest ways in which their views could be improved, instead of merely shutting down their opinions
  • Build my internal barriers strong enough not to let their negativity flood into my psyche

Try, in the coming week, to challenge the way you react to situations. Try get someone close to you to approach a situation with a positive mindset, and if that doesn't work, reset your own frame of mind, so that you don't allow the negativity of others, to make you negative.

And remember, happiness is a choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment