Monday, 11 May 2015

Control the Controllable

Every one you ask, will tell you that I am a worrier. A planner. A little bit of a control freak. I over think everything, play out various scenarios in my head, imagine a million possible outcomes for just about every situation I am faced with. Looking back, I've kinda always been like this. I like knowing (pretty much exactly) what to expect from what I am going through.

To put it frankly, it is exhausting! I have realised lately that I can not possibly control every aspect of every moment of every day of my life. I can not possible predict every reaction that other people have to a scenario. I, personally, have no way to control the global job markets, to influence someone's health, to manipulate someone else's circumstances.

In the past few weeks, I had someone special tell me that their motto in life is 'Control the Controllable'. How true isn't that thinking? In any given scenario, there are only a few factors that we really, truly, have control over, only a few aspects we can influence. No matter how much we worry, and stress, and over think, there will always be situations outside of our control.


What do we gain by constantly worrying about situations that we can not influence? What can we possibly wish to achieve from all this constant stress about things we can not control? How does that help you as a 'control freak', if you have no control over most of the outcome anyway? These realisations hit home for me over the past week, and I have decided it is an area of my life I would like to work on. Yes, I am still allowed being prepared for situations that may arise, but I will no longer spend countless hours in a tizzy about things that are out of my control.

I hope I can inspire you to do the same.

As always, remember that happiness is a choice! 

No comments:

Post a Comment