Thursday, 26 March 2015

Motivational Songs

I recently started Ballroom and Latin dance classes run by a dear friend of mine. I love it! I love hanging out with good friends and laughing and moving, but most of all I love the music!

Music has always been a huge part of my life, from playing various instruments from a young age, to singing in choirs and bands throughout school. I listen to a wide range of music, and always have something playing in my car or office. I am that crazy person you see in traffic, rocking out full blast in my car to whatever is playing.

Music has always seemed to describe my own feelings better than I could scribble them down or voice them myself. I love the fact that music is so universal, that the emotions the song is meant to portray can generally be understood by anyone, regardless of the language the song is sung in. I love how specific songs can be used to compliment or enhance any mood we can find ourselves in, and also how specific songs will always invoke specific memories. In honour of the magic of music, I have decided to share my personal Top 10 Motivational Song list, which will be featured as a 2 part series.

In no particular order, here are the first 5 songs! :)

1. Kelly Clarkson - Stronger

Lyrics:
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
Stand a little taller
Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
Footsteps even lighter
Doesn't mean I'm over 'cause you're gone

Although originally a 'break up' song, the lyrics carry so much more meaning to me now. We have all been through so much, and need to be proud of ourselves for surviving it all until now.

2. Helen Reddy - I am Woman


Lyrics:
Whoa, yes, I am wise
But it's wisdom born of pain
Yes, I've paid the price
But look how much I gained

If I have to I can do anything
I am strong (strong)
I am invincible (invincible)
I am woman

I heard this song for the first time during the 'Sex and the City' movie, and loved it instantly! Although it is an oldie, for me it just reiterates how strong women were created to be.

3. Katy Perry - Roar

Lyrics:
I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
'Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar
Louder, louder than a lion
'Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar

This is definitely one of the songs I belt out often in my car! If I could dedicate one song to all the haters out there, the people who don't want me to succeed, it would be this one!

4. Bon Jovi - It's my Life


Lyrics:
It's my life
It's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just want to live while I'm alive
(It's my life)
My heart is like an open highway
Like Frankie said
I did it my way
I just wanna live while I'm alive
It's my life

I love this song because it reminds me to live my life the way I want to, to grab every opportunity that comes my way, and to never back down from my goals.

5. Lucy Hale - Bless Myself

Lyrics:
I can bless myself
There's no need for someone's help
There's no one to blame
There's no one to save you from yourself
I can justify all the mistakes in my life
It's taught me to be, it's givin' me me
And I'll survive
'Cause I have blessed myself

This is one of those awesome feel-good girly songs that puts me in a good mood every time I hear it! It helped me realise that there are no mistakes in life, they are lessons that help you shape a better future!

I hope you enjoy these songs as much as I do! Check back next week for part 2 of my Motivational Top 10 list!

And remember, happiness is a choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment