Tuesday, 24 February 2015

Take the plunge

I am a cautious person.

I think, a lot. I rethink and analyse and over think and contemplate and re-evaluate pretty much every decision I ever make. I look at things from all sides, I compare pro's and con's, draw up lists, ask for advice. It's how I've always been.

Don't get me wrong, I am adventurous. I climb mountains and jump off bridges and sail down rivers, I get out there and enjoy life, but when it comes to the important things, I think, a lot.

Unfortunately, this means that most of my dreams, most of my ideas, never get past the planning phase. I sometimes tend to get so caught up in the thinking, that I fail to get to the doing.

This year, I am trying to cut back on my excessive over thinking. I am trying to learn that, no matter how hard I try, I can't control every aspect of every decision I make. I can't ensure that everything turns out exactly according to my plan, but I can ensure that I am flexible enough to roll with the punches as they come. I am working hard on trusting my own decisions, not second guessing myself, and no more dwelling on the worst possible outcome in every situation.

That doesn't mean I am going to go blindly rushing into any thing that comes my way, I will still be cautious in game-changing situations, but on the small things I will take more chances. I would rather live a life of 'oh wells', than a life of 'what ifs'.
(image source unknown)
So come on, take the plunge with me. Think of one area in your life where you can afford to let loose the reigns a little bit, one are where you can just let things happen. Share your decision with me in the comments if you like, and keep me posted on the outcome!

And remember, 
Happiness is a choice. 


2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful post, Elmarie. I really enjoyed it and yes we should let loose and take more chances. You only live ones, make it count.

    ReplyDelete