Monday, 5 January 2015

Monday Motivation - Let's start 2015 off right!

Wow... today is the 5th of January 2015.... How did that happen???

The last few months of 2014 flew by in a blur! Life got in the way of everything I had planned, there was so much going on... Writing (everywhere except here!) , end of year school functions for both boys, a 3 week visit from my dad (which was wonderful!), a weekend getaway, a family day, and then of course work and freelancing! Add to that Christmas, school vacation, and a birthday getaway, and you'll (hopefully) understand why I've been so quiet! Hopefully, that is all going to get better this year!

I don't like the term "New Year's Resolutions".... It seems so formal and rigid. I have no name for the exercise I do at the end of every year, no brilliant term to group my decision under. I like to take a list of things I would like to focus on for the coming year; areas that I feel I didn't excel in in the previous year that I would like to pour more energy into. This year, my list contains only 3 items:

  • Family ( Me and my loved ones, from eating better to getting more exercise)
  • Friends ( Cultivating new friendships in 2015, and strengthening the friendships that helped carry me through 2014)
  • Making time for the things that make me happy ( From hobbies to family time, I need to carve out time for the things that feed my soul)
Have you watched the movie "Mom's Night Out"? In it, husband Sean (played by Sean Astin) convinces his wife Allyson to go out on a much needed Mom's night out. He uses a beautiful analogy about a flight attendant who tells you that in an emergency, you first have to put on your own oxygen mask before you can help other people put on theirs. That is what this blog is for me, my oxygen mask.

I think we tend to get so caught up in our every day lives, so focused on the routine of scraping through every day, that we forget that we are on this earth to do more! We are here to experience, to live, to love, to laugh, to rejoice, not to rush from one day to the next, merely surviving instead of living.

I'd like to invite you all to focus on one thing that makes you happy, whether it be cooking, or reading, or simply sitting in the sun, and find ways to incorporate more of that in your life. Set aside time, write it in your diary, set a reminder on your phone, whatever it takes, but grant yourself that time to do what feeds your soul. Especially as mothers, we tend to put everyone else's needs above our own. Make this your year, invest in yourself, put on your own oxygen mask first, and make this year about you!


And remember, happiness is a choice :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment