Friday, 25 July 2014

Gluten Free Tuna Cakes

This is a quick recipe that I whipped up for dinner the other night! I have been focusing on recreating our favourite recipes into gluten-free versions, and this one will definitely be on the menu again!

I used this recipe from Taste.com.au as inspiration, and tweaked it a bit as I went. I am really bad at following recipes, and so end up tweaking most recipes as I go!


Gluten Free Tuna Cakes

Ingredients
2x tins flaked tuna - the tins I used were 215g each
1/3 cup instant mashed potato
+/- 1 cup boiling water (for the mashed potatoes)
2 Tbs mixed herbs
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup polenta
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
A pinch of salt

*You could use real, homemade mashed potatoes if you have on hand, I was in a rush and didn't have time to make from scratch

Method
1. Mix up the mashed potatoes. Brands vary in the amount of liquid they need, so go slow on the water. You don't want your potatoes too soggy. Allow the potatoes to cool slightly.

2. Drain the tuna. I always use the tuna in brine, it just seems healthier to me.

3. Mix the mashed potato, tuna, onion and dry ingredients together in a bowl.

4. Add one egg , mixing it all up with your hands, so that the ingredients are all nice and combined

5. Check the consistency before adding the second egg. You want to be able to form the mixture into patties that won't fall apart while cooking. You also don't want the mixture too squishy, as soggy fish cakes aren't going to please any tummies!

6. Should your mixture be too soggy, add some more coconut flakes or polenta to bulk it up some more.

7. Let the mixture stand for a few minutes for the polenta to soften slightly.

8. Form into 8 patties.

9. Shallow fry the patties in oil, for about 3 - 4 minutes on each side, until golden and crispy.

10. Serve and enjoy!

I served this with steamed mixed vegetables and a side of fresh cut papinos. Pure bliss!






No comments:

Post a Comment